Lincrusta and chrysanthemum

Show everyone else
palmtreesgib

Lincrusta and chrysanthemum

Post by palmtreesgib » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:16 am

I said in my intro that I liked working with Lincrusta, so I was pleased when the chance came up to hang some here, especially as no-one else was prepared to touch it on the grounds it wasn't proper wallpaper, whatever that may be.

Just for the record, this is my work, my photos, but I wasn't the main contractor.

I was given a foreman joiner as an assistant, and he was really good - careful and methodical.

I've normally hung friezes and dados, so it was a bit of a shock when they wanted a full 4+m wall hung with the stuff. Anyone got any tips on hanging full lengths, remembering that you can't bend it and fold it like normal paper, because the two of us could not lift it and we had to split the lenths?

Anyway here are the pix

Full wall
linc1.JPG
linc1.JPG (30 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
Panel
linc2.JPG
linc2.JPG (50.24 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
Window reveal (1)
linc3.JPG
linc3.JPG (57.73 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
Window reveal (2)
linc4.JPG
linc4.JPG (56.68 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
Palmtrees Painting & Decorating, Gibraltar

palmtreesgib

Re: Lincrusta and chrysanthemum

Post by palmtreesgib » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 am

The other interesting part of the job was hanging a huge plastic sticky-backed chrysanthemum. I'd not done anything like that before but figured it was worth a go.

The other option was for the designers charging a fortune to send someone out from the UK.

So my joiner assistant and I started tackling it. First, it wasn't helped by the fact that some of the wrong pieces had been sent so it was like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle with mismatching pieces.

It took us a full morning together one day, and we were pretty pleased with the result given it was my first go at anything like this. :clapping.gif:

Long shot
orusspanel.JPG
orusspanel.JPG (51.15 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
Close up, with assistant admiring our work
orussadmire.JPG
orussadmire.JPG (64.19 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
Palmtrees Painting & Decorating, Gibraltar

Aggie

Post by Aggie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:28 pm

That looks great Adrian & so does your joiner friend in the picture :wink:

The Lincrusta is amazing stuff, I have hung one or two friezes, but like you, not full lengths. I did not have trouble with concertina folds for teh frieze if I recall rightly, as long as it isn't flattened of course. But hey! you did well doing all that.
The self adhesive flower, sometimes on this sort of thing, I have used a spray bottle of water to lightly mist over teh backing, so that it does not grab straight away.

Great work there :good.gif:

PS Andy Sarsons, is on this forum somewhere, he is teh authority for Lincrusta - you might like to pm him to answer your questions.

Found it, try here..........viewtopic.php?f=3&t=875
Don't piss on my back & then tell me it's raining

mikethebrush

Post by mikethebrush » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:52 pm

love lincrusta, I wish it would make a comeback
The consequenses of overcharging are far less serious than the consequences of undercharging and you are more likely to get the job

mr Lincrusta

Post by mr Lincrusta » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi All,

Lincrusta has never dissapeared, It has been produced in the UK since 1877, we are working to promote Lincrusta all over the UK & rest of the world.

Here is the latest information I can give you all.

NEW Formulation adhesive. Good slippage, good adhesion, easy application. 1lt & 5lt tubs
New Patten Book
New Point of sale
New Hanging instructions ( I can send them electronically on request)
2 new designs Aphrodite Launched Feb 2011 and Cleopatra Launched early last year.
website. http://www.lincrusta.com
Discussion forum

Also we run the Lincrusta installer course, at our 6 Centres of excellence which are.

Dublin Institute
Somerset College
Barking & Dagenham College
South Leicester College
Accrington College
South Lanarkshire College.

Lincrusta stage 1 Standard installers course. (basic application, internal, external corners, History etc)
On completion of the stage 1 course you will become a Registered Lincrusta installer, and advertised foc on the Lincrusta website, plus other benefits.
Lincrusta stage 2 Advanced Installers course (Lincrusta to ceilings, Dado panels to staircase, decorative effects, mostly acrylic)
More information and dates can be given on request.

If any one requires any more information, or has any questions please post replies, or e mail me directly.

Thanks Andy :thumbup: