???External paint which will reduce rusting but is breathable

Painting & Decorating Chat
londonpainter098

???External paint which will reduce rusting but is breathable

Post by londonpainter098 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:10 pm

20181019_070408.jpg
20181019_070408.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
Hi guys, hope you can help.
The client has previously had a damp problem, but this is ok now. The outside of the house was pebble dashed then painted by someone else a few years back then rust lines starting coming down the paint from iron in the pebble dash.
This is where I came in. We have chipped out all visible rust and filled the gaps with sand and cement but it's impossible to remove all the stones which might have iron in them and not rusted yet as the pebble dash is all over the house.
Plan is to paint the house again with some paint which will reduce the risk of rust formation but at the same time not increase the risk of damp. We were thinking of pliolite? Any tips guys?
Thanks

Colin
Site Admin

Re: ???External paint which will reduce rusting but is breathable

Post by Colin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:28 pm

You could try Pliolite, but I think rust will reappear over time. Painting Coverstain all over first might give a bit more protection, but no guarantees. And would seal the wall, though I'm not sure that matters so much seeing that the pebbledash is on cement render anyway.
Ask for recommendations at Brewer's or Dulux Technical dept

nickj

Re: ???External paint which will reduce rusting but is breathable

Post by nickj » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Zinsser Bullseye is good for priming rust stains and Bedec masonry paint is microporus