Norton Security Scan

Phones, computers, internet
Colin
Site Admin

Norton Security Scan

Post by Colin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Hmm. Just spent a very annoying 20 minutes trying to remove what I thought was a virus or other malware, you know the type, a pop-up box suddenly appears telling you your computer is at risk unless you click on this "very large button" here.
Turns out this is a brilliant marketing plan by Symantec (the makers of Norton internet security) where the software is sneakily downloaded onto your computer when you update some other legit software, unless you check the very small "I don't want any of that crap" opt-out box. You can try clicking the "close" button, the "no thanks" button, and even go to control panel and uninstall the offending item, but it doesn't do any good. Like other Norton products, once it's on your PC there's no way to be rid of it unless you first download the Norton "removal tool". Even then they just see it as another great selling opportunity.
Symantec=EVIL EMPIRE.

mistcoat

Re: Norton Security Scan

Post by mistcoat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Oooh, cheers for the heads up, Colin. I got Norton and shall watch out for the "Red Button" I thought only you and me had "Red Buttons" :biggrin:

What Norton do you have? I have 360.
I love the "swooshing" sound deadlines make as they go by.

Painters and Decorators Kent Interior Decorators Kent YOUTUBE

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:49 pm

That's the thing, I don't have Norton and don't wan t anything to do with it. There's better one's for free. If they need to install a "virus" to sell their anti-virus, well, what's the point.

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:41 pm

:lol: That's your fault for being a SILLY and clicking those pop up type windows.

I hope you don't click the "You've just won a weeks holiday with a million bucks spending money" or "Increase you manhood now!" pop ups. :w00t:

I love the "swooshing" sound deadlines make as they go by.

Painters and Decorators Kent Interior Decorators Kent YOUTUBE

imaginarynumber

Post by imaginarynumber » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Yeah annoying isn't it.

I routinely carry a copy of the norton and macafee removal tools on my usb stick.

The first time I saw it I though it was a rogue program.

The degree to which bone fide free programs try to hoodwink you into installing norton, google chrome or other browser plugins is rather irksome. I appreciate that such 3rd party programs enable the software to remain free but I would rather see an opt in option instead of an opt out.