new website

Phones, computers, internet
Bagshot

new website

Post by Bagshot » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm thinking of getting a website,i had a offer today from webworksinternet.com offering me a four page website,8 pictures and domain name ,registration and one years hosting for £100 a year plus vat.I can't be arsed or have the noddle to do it myself.Intersted in what you website builders etc think.
Brian

mikethebrush

Re: new website

Post by mikethebrush » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:41 pm

colour Rob is well up on websites having built his own
The consequenses of overcharging are far less serious than the consequences of undercharging and you are more likely to get the job

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:08 pm

From my limited knowledge, you need to make sure you own the domain name so you can change host at a later date if you want to.

8 pictures isn't a lot.

Can you upload content yourself or are they the only ones who can alter your site.

Correct me if I am way off with what I've just typed out chaps :001_unsure:

I pay £70 p.a. for my main site to be hosted, I have full control over it's contents and I have two other www's directed to it.
I love the "swooshing" sound deadlines make as they go by.

Painters and Decorators Kent Interior Decorators Kent YOUTUBE

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Sounds very cheap, though I have no idea what the going rate is. But beware them hooking you in for regular SEO payments, upgrades, and the like. Can't you swap some painting work with a friendly local web designer?

jimmy_123

Post by jimmy_123 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello +1 what colin says about getting someone local to do it i did and you can talk through it face to face and all that bit better really just my opinion for domain names as they are usually your responsibility try 123reg.co.uk there quite good.

cheers Jimmy
Cheers Jimmy

Colour Republic

Post by Colour Republic » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:39 pm

They look OK from the outset but they do have problems (right click on a website and do 'view source' this will give you the code of how the site is written)

SEO is not their strong point as some of their techniques are what's known as 'black hat' these can get you in trouble with search engines who will black mark you for certain reasons. The problem with black hat is that at the start your site will do really well (so you'll be happy with the web designers) but after a period of time the search engines can downgrade you once they find out all the little dirty tricks they used. What normally happens is the website company will then turn round and say if you want to stay on top of the results we'll need to undertake constant SEO of you site...££££££

The sites they produce are OK in the sense that the code they use (for some of them not all) is clean in the most part, making them very easy for bots to crawl them and rank them.

OK I could go on and on about the sites they build but it might not be worth it, yes they are better than some out there in that price bracket but that still doesn't make them any good.

I would avoid. A website like that will be fine for an online portfolio that you point customers to but it won't bring in business regardless of how flash it might look, if people can't find it, how are they going to call you?

I too would find a friend or a friend of a friend who builds websites maybe in their spare time, I went this route by decorating a mates hall who was going to build my website he started and was doing a good job but I knew that with all the content I wanted on there it was going to take as much time me telling him as it would be for me to learn myself, so that's what happened. He created a template then I started to fill in the blanks, I looked at what he had done then taught myself and went from there.

I'm not suggesting you go as far as me as I must have spent 700hrs+ teaching myself and updating the website, I must have about the same to go again before I’m happy with it.

So I suppose as above, get someone who will build a website for around £4-500 (or in exchange for your labour) but include in that a day spent with you showing how to maintain the website and some SEO techniques so you can spend a few hours a week working on your website. Believe me £500 and a few hours a week spent on your website will bring 100 fold the amount of business in than £500 spent elsewhere, just make sure you keep on top of it and push it up the rankings.

The good news is that the construction industry in general are way behind when it comes to websites so it's easier to get on the front page of Google than in most other industries and cheaper! So don't do what they all do by going with one of these companies like you mention, it's money down the drain.

My new website is about 3 months old and will take another 3 months before google really put me on page one for all the keywords i want, but on average it already brings in 5-6 calls a week from new customers and they are the right sort of customers because my site looks expensive, if I wasn't targeting that market I think you could triple those calls. I get about 25-30 hits a day at the moment but I know only 3 of those are local people looking for a service we provide, the rest are from traffic based around the country just checking us out (like one of you guys clicking on our link below).

Have I rambled enough????

Aggie

Post by Aggie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:01 pm

:confused1:
Don't piss on my back & then tell me it's raining

Colour Republic

Post by Colour Republic » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:16 pm

:lol: :lol: OK i rambled and didn't make any sense I take it!!!

to prove a point about know who is looking at your site, 2 people so far have had a look at my site via this thread since I posted

One of the uses the carphone warehouse as their internet provider and are based near London, they spent 5 mins on the site, first they went to

Home page then
about us
decoration page (here they enlarged a few pictures on the page)
then to our general services page
then Paperhanging murals
then our paperhanging portfolio
some where in there thy also went to the 'Contact Us' page

somebody else who uses vodafone as their provider spent 1:30 mins

they went Home page
about us
and then the 'Get a quote page'

Scary what trail you leave behind when browsing the internet :crying: :crying: but it's all good info, as I know these visitors are just interested in decorating, i'm hardly going to be selling my services to them!! So it helps with knowing who is visiting and why, if I only knew how many people visited and nothing else I might think blimey 30 people visited my site and nobody called, what am I doing wrong, my site must be crap???

Aggie

Post by Aggie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:32 pm

:lol: Rob, you're a sound fella.
I used :confused1: because computing is not my bag. I can write a few posts & upload one or two photographs & that is all I want to know. I take my hat of to you & all you guys who teach yourselves how to do this stuff. I spend/waste far to much of my time on the PC :wacko.gif:
Don't piss on my back & then tell me it's raining

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Good on yer, Rob.
I'd like to spend a weekend with you teaching me some web stuff (tho I don't mean "with you" in the Brighton sense of the word) :wink:

You certainly know your onions :yes:
I love the "swooshing" sound deadlines make as they go by.

Painters and Decorators Kent Interior Decorators Kent YOUTUBE