Favourite brush for oil?

Tools of the trade and discussion thereof
sotv69

Re: Favourite brush for oil?

Post by sotv69 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:39 pm

just a quick one.when we were given new brushes a work, be it hamiltons ( very rare - i once won a box of perfections at college in a competition and was scared of using them cuz of the high esteem they were held in!) or manders/maxim own brand.
we had to break them in using OIL based wood primer, ali primer, oily primer, plumbate ect.
once they were suitably worn down a bit, they went into OIL u/c and finally OIL gloss.

with oil based primers being rarely used now, i think there lies the problem.

the linseed oil/turps keeps were allways used at college but your brush had to be spotless before they went in there, low betide you if they werent!!

allways used to keep brushes for oil in the water bosh - but hands up who used to forget to change the water and the smell of rotten eggs that used to fill the van!?

brush mates are great for lazy f*****s like me, but they do ruin your brushes IMO - the flags on my hamiltons still come off on a well worn 3 year old brush?

as for the roller discussion, i did some contract work on the new QE hospital in Birmingham a year or 2 ago. I was amazed that you were allowed to use rollers WITHOUT laying off.
Last time in was on a hospital it was oil based eggshell with 1 on the roller and 1 in front cutting in and 1 following behind laying off by brush.
you werent allowed to leave an orange peel finish as they said it held the germs - maybe thats where all these bugs are cominmg from?
izzy,wizzy, lets get busy!
http://www.mdunndecorating.com

mikethebrush

Post by mikethebrush » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 pm

exactly the same regime for me Sotv and was i in trouble if I didnt follow it
The consequenses of overcharging are far less serious than the consequences of undercharging and you are more likely to get the job

Bagshot

Post by Bagshot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 pm

I used a picasso beaver tailed angle today in oil gloss and it was damn good.mind you i've got that many i could use them as throw aways but i won't :no: :jester.gif:

LJW61

Post by LJW61 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:30 pm

I had to paint a small door in Natural Calico o/b eggshell today, as all my brushes were in white I didnt fancy arseing about cleaning & wasting spirit for a 5 minute job, the 'client' had a newish 2" Acorn (not sure which model ) so I used that,it was a pretty decent brush, not much different to the Hamilton!

krist

Post by krist » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Definitely Hamilton Perfection range https://www.hamiltondecoratingtools.co.uk/brushes/c1

gordonsmith

Post by gordonsmith » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 pm

Purdy is my first choice, too