Paint Fumes

You know it makes sense!
mistcoat

Paint Fumes

Post by mistcoat » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:06 pm

It's happened before on many occasions in my painting time, but moreso recently.
When using certain paints (solvent) I get very bad stomach/heartburn type pains, (can't be a good thing).
Had it today while using Zinsser BIN. Very bad it was too.

The amount of "stuff" we have ingested over the years by way of vapour/fumes/dust etc. we should be educating more and more to ensure that newcomers wear PPE when needed. It's a hinderance I know, but if it saves your life down the road, which would we prefer?

My tuppence worth!!! :|
I love the "swooshing" sound deadlines make as they go by.

Painters and Decorators Kent Interior Decorators Kent YOUTUBE

decoron

Re: Paint Fumes

Post by decoron » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Being 57 I have used all types of industrial coatings and prior to health and safety you were told to just get on with it. I found when using these paints you should have a good breakfast and drink lots of milk, but nowadays we do a risk assessment and take regular breaks and apply all safety measures as per C.O.S.S.H.E. Or what I prefer to do is to get some other silly bastard to do the job.

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 pm

That sounds a better idea decoron, use the other silly B'stard for the crap :lol:

There were milk tokens at one point for the deccies to line the stomachs, weren't there, my Dad told me this. You got a pint of milk a day I think.
Get sweet fanny adams nowadays.

decoron

Post by decoron » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Yes your father was correct about the milk, car and industrial sprayers in particular. I personally prefer Glenmorangie even when I :lol: am not spraying. :lol:

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:47 pm

We got a little "high" varnishing the walls of a restaurant on Soho in the 80's and someone bought us a pint of milk each, I though he was pulling my leg.

Most of the time the smell of paint fumes doesn't bother me, F&B eggshell is pretty strong.
But if I spray vinyl matt even if I wear a good mask it gets the back of my throat, I have to wear an organic solvent filter. I think maybe vinyl matt has small amounts of exotic solvents that you only notice when its concentrated :?

Flat Matte

Post by Flat Matte » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:08 am

The talk of the pint of milk for the painter brought back memorys, as a lad when i use to help the local milkman we delivered to a industrial estate and they was a manafacturing unit when they had a paint shop and the canteen the canteen had half a crate of silver top and the painter in the spray shop was dilivered a pint of gold top straight to the spray shop, help with the fumes but clogged up his arteries. :001_unsure:

Gb14

Post by Gb14 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Add some vanilla essence to the paint. A table spoon amount for every 2.5 litres. No it won't discolour the paint. But takes the edge off the smell.

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:48 pm

Gb14 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:44 pm
Add some vanilla essence to the paint. A table spoon amount for every 2.5 litres. No it won't discolour the paint. But takes the edge off the smell.
Too late for that now. I've been waterbased for years now :wink: