Pressure washing

Colin
Site Admin

Pressure washing

Post by Colin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:48 pm

How many of you have a decent pressure washer and use it for cleaning off algae etc even if the house doesn't need painting?

A lot of US painters offer a pressure washing service for cleaning drives and walls to get rid of moss and algae. The wet summers of the last couple of years have left a lot of green houses around here, and I'm certain there is a market for this sort of service. I reckon a petrol washer for about £700-800, some research into chemicals to use and how not to kill the shrubbery or fill the roof with water it could be a goer. Anyone else got 2 pence worth?

TooledUp

Re: Pressure washing

Post by TooledUp » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:07 pm

There's definitely a market for it out there. Even for cleaning houses to be repainted that have green algae on them. I've got a small karcher one (this model) that cost me around £100.00 - It does the job okay, has a feed tube you can stick into a container for chemicals/detergents and has a fairly decent pressure on it. It's paid for itself a few times over in the past year or so that I've had it. The petrol ones are a better option and you don't have to worry about a power supply but you still have the problem of hoping that there's preferably an exterior water source with a hose attachment/screw type thingy on the end of the outside tap. Ideally a water tank to go with it would be nice :thumbup1:

Aggie

Post by Aggie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi Colin,
I bought my pressure washer {Kew 5000 Professional}about 12 years ago, an electric one. I paid around £430 for it which was & still is a lot of money.
I bought it specifically to do a job, which was an Edwardian veranda & all the paint on the ceiling was peeling & covered in algae & cobwebs. Marvelous, I blasted the whole lot off, all the peeling paint back to sound surface & very clean, I do not think I used a scraper. the whole prep was done in a morning & I started superdecing the next day. I have used it quite a lot since, not just for my own personal use but on jobs for externals where it is needed. A mate of mine had a bit of a sideline for doing conservatories - roofs etc with his pressure washer.
Don't piss on my back & then tell me it's raining

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:51 pm

Aggie wrote:A mate of mine had a bit of a sideline for doing conservatories - roofs etc with his pressure washer.
Mine is a Wolf or Wolfe washer from Screwfix. They don't sell that model anymore. This is the closest I can see to it. About the same price but it is a 120bar me thinks.
Was thinking of doing the same as your mate, Aggie.

I have details on my website for deck cleaning and refinishing :thumbup: but no takers as yet :sad:
I love the "swooshing" sound deadlines make as they go by.

Painters and Decorators Kent Interior Decorators Kent YOUTUBE

reilly57

Post by reilly57 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Colin wrote:A lot of US painters offer a pressure washing service for cleaning drives and walls to get rid of moss and algae.
I've never met an American painter who didn't have a pressure washer, and I lived on the west coast for fourteen years. Anything under 2000psi isn't work having, you'd be better using a a bucket of water and a scrubbing brush.

I normally use machines that kick out 4000psi, and I use longer wands than normal (I buy the tube and couplers and make them myself, when I need to blast something high up I connect two of them). The wide fan enables me to clean large areas very quickly (without leaving loads of overlap marks), and my long wand(s) enable me to (a) stay dry (b) stay safely on the ground.

Try cleaning an eighteen wheel truck and trailer with a Karcher ... :thumbdown:

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:35 pm

reilly57 wrote:Try cleaning an eighteen wheel truck and trailer with a Karcher ... :thumbdown:
We're Painters & Decorators, reilly... not valeters :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hear what you're saying about high pressure stuff tho'. Doubt most of us touch that sort of thing over here as it goes.
Did you bring your stuff over with you from the States or have you brought new?
What you driving round to haul your stuff, hope it's not a gas guzzler with our fuel prices :001_rolleyes: :sad:

reilly57

Post by reilly57 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:55 am

We're Painters & Decorators, reilly... not valeters :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one! :001_tt2:

Good money cleaning and painting wagons in the states though. I've already got pressure washing and spraying equipment in England, but I'm looking for some blasing equipment. I'm using my Navara at the moment, but I'd like an old American Ford pickup ... and I'd have that air-brushed.

Here's a really good link to a preservation staining and painting company in the US.

http://www.greatlakespressurecleaning.c ... eafter.asp

Hover over the pictures, and you'll see the before and after.

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Some dramatic changes on the before & afters there, reilly. Looks nice :thumbup:

Obviously by what you have said, that is what you are intending to carry out over here.
Are there any log homes in the New Forest?
Do Centre Parcs (sp.) have log cabins?

Try searching Speciality Holiday homes of something out in the "sticks", that may get you work.
I know on the IOW, the place where we go, they have some log stylee cabins (get in quick wighteagle).
Just an idea!!!

Peterpainter

Post by Peterpainter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:16 pm

I did some work for a decorator before I went on my own, he always pressure washed exteriors before painting. I prefer to go at it with a bucket of warm water and fungicidal wash stiff/wire brush if necessary. at the end of the day if its going to have two coats of paint dont see the need in spending time pressure washing as long as you kill the algae off. espaecially as most decent exterior paints contain fungicide and are self priming. granted there is money to be made in cleaning drives/render but surely if a customer contacts me regarding horible green patches. i'd be tempted to persuade them to go for whole decorating job rather than a days work with a pressure washer. surely more money in it for us.

Blast cleaning is so expensive, theres some money to be made there, I had a bungalow blasted last year they charged £1200 and it took them 3 days. Leaves the surface friable though = stabilising solution

Q: is it essential to pressure wash exterior work before painting. if so...sh1t! :scared:
Last edited by Peterpainter on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MattEvs

Post by MattEvs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:40 pm

I'd say to always clean down an exterior render fungicidal if needed or pressure wash at least, before painting. Especially if its in a dirty area i.e. next to busy/dusty road. Otherwise your practically painting the dirt on the surface and its eventually going to fail.

Or am I wrong? :confused1:

Matt