Acrylic eggshell

Painting & Decorating Chat
Boopinter

Acrylic eggshell

Post by Boopinter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi guys,

Looking for your views!
I’ve been a painter for 30+ years, very traditional but still try to move with the times. I was working in New Zealand for a bit and was using there water based eggshell (resene) on woodwork and found it a fantastic product but I’ve been struggling to find acrylic eggshell that comes close to the finish and use of the nz product. Only one that has come close is Johnstone’s acrylic eggshell. Should I stick with this or is there any better product out there. Hope you guys can help!

nickj

Re: Acrylic eggshell

Post by nickj » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:45 pm

I've been using Tikarrila Helmi which comes in a gloss, satin and flat finish , it's nice to use and gives a good smooth finish . needs 2-3 (u/c + 2 top coats) it's hard wearing , can't comment on how it compares to Johnstones tho

Colin
Site Admin

Re: Acrylic eggshell

Post by Colin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 am

Ditto the Helmi. Caparol is good too. Bedec Advance. Used Benjamin Moore ScuffX before xmas and was pretty impressed with the ease of use
I stopped using the Big Shed brands for woodwork a some years ago, and prefer to pay a little more for quality.
Having said that, things might have improved recently, but that's the problem with abandoning a brand, they will have a hard job enticing me back again.
If you don't like the Acrylics on offer, you could always try using water-bourne alkyds. Little bit of yellowing, but feel like an oil-paint without the fumes.