Sanders and Extractors

Tools of the trade and discussion thereof
Craig

Sanders and Extractors

Post by Craig » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Hi

Doing research on all Sanders and dust extractors for decoration prep (walls/ceilings/woodwork)

Would appreciate everyone's advice/stories/recommendations

Thanks 😊

Colin
Site Admin

Re: Sanders and Extractors

Post by Colin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:54 am

You pretty much get what you pay for. Get an "M" rated extractor as the dust from sanding paint is very fine.
As for sanders, one square orbital sander, and a disc random orbital should be enough. While you should get the best you can afford, don't get too hung up on getting Festool or Mirka. Manufacturers like Makita and Bosch Professional, and some others do very good equipment that will last a long time. Keep in mind that the "hook and loop" system for sanding discs or sheets is not really compatible across all different makes unless you use an interface pad in between.

nickj

Re: Sanders and Extractors

Post by nickj » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:40 pm

I got a Mirka Deros after seeing a demo at the P&D show 3-4 years ago , and for me it is a real game changer, the sanding discs are a mesh so almost all the dust gets sucked up , I did have to send it back twice in the first couple of months after it blew up , to their credit Mirka had it fixed quickly and sent out a rep to see me , he suggested not running it at full speed , which I have done and it gets a lot of use and hasn't given me any problems since , customers are ususally quite impressed if you're sanding down a lot of filler and very little dust flying about .
I've got it linked to a Nilfisk T60 (possibly could be 40) but they are around £100 and has been reiable and is a lot cheaper than mirka own ,
I have got a couple of other sanders for windows etc but the dust extraction with these is not as good as the Mirka