Just starting out

Painting & Decorating Chat
dtheory

Just starting out

Post by dtheory » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:33 am

I'm just looking for some advice really. I'm just starting out professionally and I was wondering what paint brand people use?

I'm thinking of going for Crown Paints. What are everyone's thoughts?

Cheers,
Dan

jungle jas

Re: Just starting out

Post by jungle jas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi Dtheory, Welcome.

I was not going to answer this post as I felt there were better qualified people on here than me. But here goes,

Firstly let me make it clear I have never classed my self as a professional painter but a house builder/ property developer who has done a lot of painting ever since I was a teenager and I am now 68! For most of my life I have used mainly Leyland paints which have always served me well on my new work for most of my life. However since they have started messing about with the makeup of the paints things have altered. also recently I have started to work on old houses which again bring its own set of problems which need to be solved which is why I use this site which I find enormously useful. The only paint I wont use is Dulux due to problems I had in the past. :thumbdown: I'm sure this is not what you want to hear but that is the best I can do I hope it helps.

Regards Jason. :thumbup:

nickj

Post by nickj » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:15 pm

I use whatever paints /brands I think I will get the best results with , so I use some Dulux, Tikkarila , Bedec, Johnstones, Zinsser, it of Benjamin Moore , I've chopped and changed as I've tried various paints , then found something that was better , I'm lucky that mmy local supplier has a wide range of stuff
I try and avoid F+B where ever possible , did a job with some of their estate emu just before xmas and it took 4-5 coats to cover plain off white walls , it's just not worth the costs invovled

Dingabell

Post by Dingabell » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 am

As already said, try a range of brands and see what works for you? After time you'll find out that all brands have good and bad paint. I use a lot of Johnstons but for certain finishes/jobs use other brands too. As also said above, Farrow And Ball is usually loved by the wealthy customer but hated by every decorator you talk to. Johnstons do all the Farrow And Ball mixes which I find are much better than the original. Good luck with your new venture.