Roughcast

Painting & Decorating Chat
jimbo

Roughcast

Post by jimbo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:39 pm

Hi, looking for advice. Working on about 120sq metres of roughcast. The company that sub contracts us had someone first coating it then sent them to another job. My son and myself took up where they left off to finish the job. They had gave it a decent first coat and when we gave it a second it looked great although we did think in areas it will need another roll here and there. The next day we noticed lots of pinholes over a lot of areas plus some cracking in various areas. We decided to give it another complete coat all over. There is still pinholes in lots of areas and cracking here and there. My son says the lads before us should have bonded it with exterior primer. I’ve painted new roughcast before and never had problems but would be interested to see what anyone thinks. We are not under pressure to finish on a price etc but just want to do make a good job of it. Any help would be much appreciated
Jimbo

Colin
Site Admin

Re: Roughcast

Post by Colin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 pm

Bloody hell. Painting roughcast with a roller is tough😋.
I think because the paint is going on so thick (into the holes), it's taking ages to dry and is shrinking causing the cracking. Can only suggest another coat and really work it in with the roller.....Good luck

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:05 am

Thanks for the reply Colin. It was discussed about spraying it but because of the other trades around the site that was decided a no no. It’s nearly done but I don’t want to be in this position again and was wondering there was something we hadn’t done etc which could have made a difference. The job looks good but up cloyin some areas need attention
Thanks, Jim

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:06 am

*up close *