Starting back up

Painting & Decorating Chat
billathome65

Starting back up

Post by billathome65 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi guys I'm currently getting back into the P&D game after years of doing other ****** mind numbing jobs. I'm not looking for what you charge for jobs but if you want to share feel free

Just wanting to know how you go about pricing your jobs up what to consider as part of my pricing? When to charge hourly or daily? The difference with daily rate. I always worked for others when I was in the trade so never learnt how to price my own jobs as I always earned an hourly rate. Or pay on completion.

I'm looking more at small domestic jobs rather than site work as I'm to old to be running round like a mad man

Any advice is more than welcome please feel free to pm me.

Regards bill :crying:

billathome65

Re: Starting back up

Post by billathome65 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:05 am

No one got any advice for an old decorator getting back into the trade?

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 am

Bill.......first of all, 8 x hourly rate = daily rate?

I would really encourage you to go and work with/for another painter if you want to get back into it.

There are a lot of committed painters out there who have put a lot of time and effort in to getting trained and running a successful business. As you are finding out, pricing successfully is hard, and painting is more complicated than buying some tins from Screwfix and slapping it on. You can't be surprised when no-one rushes to help an old guy who got fed up with his last job and needs to be told how to price and paint; even if he did used to be in the trade.

I'm not having a pop Bill, just want you to think a bit about what you are doing, and how it sounds to people who have spent their whole working lives in this trade.

So I would say you've got two choices if you want to get back to painting: either carry on as you are - there will always be people who are willing to get "anyone" in to do some painting as long as they are very cheap. Or you could work with another painter who could do with a hand, and get up to speed with the painting business on the job.
Good luck

animals

Post by animals » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:04 pm

Well said Colin, we'll have No Nonsense on this forum
Sorry couldn't resist and seriously Colin its been very quiet on here the past few months, I've also noticed other members are posting regularly on other forums but not yours, I wonder why ?

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:42 pm

Yeah its dying a death. I was keeping it going because I got traffic to my own site, but even that is drying up. May pack it in, you can only have so many forums, and I'm not the type to keep pushing it forward

billathome65

Post by billathome65 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:46 pm

Cartiers the jewelers and Alfred dunhills London plus was asked to jump on a crew painting Harrods. Ive done house bashing and worked with other painters and decorators was in the trade for a long time but never had to price jobs for working for others and on house bashing you get a price and either take it or leave it. So I think I know how to do the job. Just thought I'd ask for a bit of guidance as I want to go this alone for a change am fed up working and relying on others. Seems asking for guidance these days is seen as a no no. I came out the trade as the wife was unwell and was offered work that suited what I needed at the time. Thanks anyway. No offence taken just disappointed.

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:49 pm

No offence intended Bill. And I don't doubt that you've done the experience as well. My guidance would still be get up to speed on what decorators in your area are doing, and work towards setting yourself up in business in the sort of work you want to do. I really don't think I can advise you on what price to charge etc.
Good luck again

billathome65

Post by billathome65 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:47 am

Hi I was not and would not ask what guys are charging as it differs from one guy and one place to another. I'm currently trying to take on jobs when I'm not in work or before work to build up the speed again and try new things. I'm doing two jobs hoping to cut the other job. The 8x thing was basically saying how I'm pricing things ATM my thinking is OK in my part time job for 8 hours I get this amount. What I then do is double that to give me a starting point. But obviously if that came to £150 for 8 hours ( which it don't trust me 😂😂😂 ) I'm thinking then we'll if someone is after just one wall papering what's the ball park going rate these days is £150 to much or too little? It won't take 8 hours so do I charge per roll all these things. I'm currently working on a neibours house very short on cash. Hard wood windows in a state with rot etc the front bay and porch where a mess but it's like new again the neibour has bought all the stuff and I've put a few hours in here and there to get it sorted and charged her less than a days wage in my PT job but it's been good for me getting up to speed and now I'm up 20feet sorting a side window which is just as bad. I'm doing the job for pittence as favour but it's helping me out. I took offence more at your Screwfix and cheep job comments. I'm not looking to break the bank just earn more than I'm getting now and do my own thing. Anyway I've rambled on and probably make no sense 😂 but to get back to the point I was just after some pointers I accept you saying get in with someone else but most are one man bands round my way and to be honest I'd rather do it alone rather than dancing to someone else's fiddle. Cheers anyway

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks for your ramble Bill.
I think it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on your pricing already, round my way £150 p/day would be about right.
As for smaller jobs, you have to be the one making the decision on the pricing, not the customer or other tradesmen. Get what you think is right. Getting paid the right amount depends a lot on the trust and professionalism you radiate as well as the quality of your work.
As for working for a pittance for a neighbour, that's ok as long as that was your decision to make. Helping people out is fine. If you want to make a living, you can't help people out all the time, or get the reputation for being the nice guy who just helps people out. I think you are already learning the way to price in your area

billathome65

Post by billathome65 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Cheers for that I think we all like a good ramble every now and then and glad we got things sorted. I hope things pick back up on here as the stuff I've read and the support most of the time has been great but you can't do it all yourself. You take care.