Help waterbased bubbled

Painting & Decorating Chat
billathome65

Help waterbased bubbled

Post by billathome65 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Wtf? Had a call earlier a customer complained that a window sill I recently painted had started to bubble when it got wet? Paint used was waterbased no nonsense primer and undercoat X 2 coats and no nonsense waterbased gloss X 3 coats. It's the first time using a water based paint what have done wrong? The sill was cleaned and keyed before painting got to go back to sort it but need some advice.

Cheers bill
Attachments
IMG_20190719_175120.jpg
IMG_20190719_175120.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 343 times

Colin
Site Admin

Re: Help waterbased bubbled

Post by Colin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Could be a few things. Favourite would be moisture under the film due to previous coats not allowed long enough cure time, or painting at the end of the day so dew settling on uncured paint and getting under?
Just noticed you've said after rain, so yes, paint not had long enough cure time either between coats or before it started raining

billathome65

Post by billathome65 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:02 pm

AHH ok will need to read the cure times properly thanks I was under the impression that once it was dry to the touch it could be overprinted. It needs sorting either way give me more time to prepare it to as I wasn't sure of layering it between coats to take out the brush marks

billathome65

Post by billathome65 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Update: I went back to sort this issue out and was informed that when it was raining the window was left open this was days after I had been there. And the sill was swimming with water. The sill was dabbed dry and once fully dry all the bubbles went? I have given the top coat a light sanding and put a good thick layer of paint on it. Fingers crossed the issue was microscope gaps in the top coat letting water under and by putting a good thick layer on this has now sorted the issue? Time will tell. 😁