Brush marks on exterior Farrow & Ball no 16 Grey water based gloss

Painting & Decorating Chat
Painter Pat

Brush marks on exterior Farrow & Ball no 16 Grey water based gloss

Post by Painter Pat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:13 am

Hello, I would be most grateful for any advice on the following: I have painted an exterior front door with Farrow & Ball no 16 water based gloss and I can see the brush marks clearly once it's dried. I have stirred the paint well, the temperature was about 20 degrees, painted two coats and I don't have the lovely gloss, uniform finish I get when using solvent based gloss, it looks all streaky due to the brush marks showing. Any thoughts on how to get this paint to give a similar finish? Many thanks.

Colin
Site Admin

Re: Brush marks on exterior Farrow & Ball no 16 Grey water based gloss

Post by Colin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:58 pm

No matter how good modern water soluble paints are, they can't get the high gloss of oil yet.
I think the brush marks are probably technique related. Get yourself a very good, soft, synthetic brush. I still like Proform Blaze a lot though there are other ones on the market that are probably as good but not so expensive.
Add a bit of water. No more than 10% as the pigment can settle out and it can weaken the film. Either thin it down in the kettle or use a garden water mister and spray the door directly so that the surface is evenly coated with a fine mist of water without it dribbling in streams down the front.
Then you should be able to get a brush mark free finish with some careful laying off - don't go on too thinly, keep the thickness even across the whole panel and use a light touch. Once it's laid off leave it alone!
If you are still struggling to get the paint on quickly and evenly enough, put the panel in with a mini roller then lay it off with a brush.
Unfortunately if there are dried brush marks on the door already, you will need to sand them out first, finishing with something like a 400 grade sandpaper.

Painter Pat

Re: Brush marks on exterior Farrow & Ball no 16 Grey water based gloss

Post by Painter Pat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:01 pm

Thank you for the advice Colin. I'll add 10% water and give it another go. Really appreciate you taking the time.