Cleaning Decking

Woody

Cleaning Decking

Post by Woody » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Hello all. Well the sun came out yesterday so I had better start looking at my outside jobs!
One of my clients has a number of nurseries with outside play areas and large amounts of decking which are heavily contaminated with algae which when damp turns the decking into an ice rink! Liberon have a new Anti-Slip decking varnish which looks ideal but obviously the algae needs to be removed before appling the varnish. Has anyone got any tips or advice on preparing the decking? I would normally spray on a fungicide and pressure wash it off the next day when its done its work.
Ideally I would like to do all the prep in one day which would allow me to coat it all up the next but as the decking is so contaminated I dont think the fungicide will have had time to work unless its left for 24hrs. Any ideas to save me a day would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers Woody

Aggie

Re: Cleaning Decking

Post by Aggie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi ya mate, :happy_friends3:
Good to see you on here.

Have given this a little thought, How about this?...............Pressure wash the decking in the normal manner & THEN spray on the fungicide & just leave it to soak in & dry out.Although the algae needs to feed off the fungicide to kill it, & that you will be removing it be washing, at least any spores that are left will be killed if you were to just spray on the fungicide & leave it. Rather than coating up the next day, would it be possible to leave it a few days, & then go back to coat it? I am not sure about the Liberon anti slip, I have never used it. Is this OK do you think, for applying over damp/wet decking the next day? dunno :confused1: Maybe someone else will have some different ideas.

Ag

BTW, I am looking at week beginning 15th for NC job, but will be in touch b4then
Don't piss on my back & then tell me it's raining

cam12

Post by cam12 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Woody even leaving the decking 24hrs after pressure washing is not enough,this type of wood holds water and the varnish will walk of very quicky as it will not penatarte the wood,but in this country it doesnt stay dry
long enough for it to dry out . :cursing:
Dont have the answer expect leave it as long as you can ,explain the problem to the client and hope for the best
Green and White Army

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks for that fellas. I will have to re-plan those jobs allowing a week between prep and coating.

Aggie. Hello mate, it looks like I am gonna be on this job til 22nd, bloody typical! I'll give you a bell soon.
:crazy.gif:

1745kev

Post by 1745kev » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:12 pm

i've just been given a decking job where its got to be stripped, the product on there is "stay new decking"it did'nt stay new for long. I found a stripper called "prep dec" which says apply, wait 15 mins and then pressure wash off, i was wondering if anybody has ever used it before ,thanks for any advice 1745kev
Woody wrote:Hello all. Well the sun came out yesterday so I had better start looking at my outside jobs!
One of my clients has a number of nurseries with outside play areas and large amounts of decking which are heavily contaminated with algae which when damp turns the decking into an ice rink! Liberon have a new Anti-Slip decking varnish which looks ideal but obviously the algae needs to be removed before appling the varnish. Has anyone got any tips or advice on preparing the decking? I would normally spray on a fungicide and pressure wash it off the next day when its done its work.
Ideally I would like to do all the prep in one day which would allow me to coat it all up the next but as the decking is so contaminated I dont think the fungicide will have had time to work unless its left for 24hrs. Any ideas to save me a day would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers Woody

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Well, you got plenty of help there, Kev :no:

I guess we missed this post. Did you get sorted?
I love the "swooshing" sound deadlines make as they go by.

Painters and Decorators Kent Interior Decorators Kent YOUTUBE

1745kev

Post by 1745kev » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:25 pm

thanks mistcoat, thought i'd upset someone, prep dec works fine, but for a water based stripper it burns your skin like hell, i'm in the middle of trying to rub down, but keep getting rained off,

mistcoat

Post by mistcoat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:16 pm

1745kev wrote:... i'm in the middle of trying to rub down, but keep getting rained off,
Well, that's the joys of living in Sarf London, innit :thumbup:
I love the "swooshing" sound deadlines make as they go by.

Painters and Decorators Kent Interior Decorators Kent YOUTUBE

Owatrol UK

Post by Owatrol UK » Tue May 08, 2012 6:19 pm

One of our core range of products includes the stripping and cleaning of external timber. The best solution for removing algae, mildew etc.?? Hot water and bleach!

but to remove old stains, oils, paints etc. you should try our product 'Prepdeck Wood Stripper & Cleaner'. We have calls throughout the summer from people who have been recommended to us by Cuprinol to remove their previously coated products in readiness for a new coat. Prepdeck is caustic based however and you must therefore neutralise this using Net-trol Wood Cleaner and Colour Restorer.

I guarantee that the decking will be pristine once you have finished with these products. Also, you need to be careful when using a pressure washer on timber because if the pressure is too high, then you can damage the surface of the wood.

Here are the links to the products specified:

Prepdeck: http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/item.php?stock=27

Net-trol: http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/item.php?stock=19